Take your story further!
The vast majority of content produced in and about the Arab world is available in Arabic and English. Daily headlines and specialist publications read by a minority of people aside, German readers are faced with a lack of information in their own language about many goings-on in the multifaceted Middle East region.
German researchers, students and journalists often have to use foreign-language sources of information in their work, and with my language services I help to bridge the linguistic gap.
Calling the Middle East my second home since 2003, I can ensure that the cultural references in your every word, frame or tweet are fully understood by German audiences.
• Websites, news articles, presentations, exhibition catalogues
• Non-fiction, short stories, book blurbs and reviews, song lyrics
• History of the MENA region, politics, art, literature, film and music, journalism, teaching Arabic, Muslims in Europe
PROOFREADING & EDITING
• Of German translations and original texts
• Special focus on consistent terminology and the spelling of Arabic names
• Ensuring cultural references will be understood
SOCIAL MEDIA LOCALISATION
• Research into suitable platforms to reach target audiences
• Translation and adaptation of tweets/updates/blog posts
• Full-scale German social media campaigns for organisations, book releases, films, exhibitions, etc.
• Documentaries, feature films, short films, web videos
• English and Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) into German
• Translation of templates from English, MSA, and the Egyptian and Levantine dialects
Since 2001, I have acquired substantial expertise in a vast array of fields through:
Countries lived in:
- Syria (1.5 years), Egypt (3 years)
- Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Oman
Memorable translation projects:
- Lyrics of rap songs by Egyptian rapper and activist Mohamed El-Deeb
- Large-volume translation for the exhibition Space, Time, Dignity, Rights about Palestinian refugee camps(both in cooperation with my colleague Jessica Siepelmeyer)
My professional experience includes work in the following areas:
- Journalism (online magazine Thara, Damascus, 2010)
- Project promoting the translation of Arabic literature into English (English PEN, Cairo, 2008)
- International academic cooperation (DAAD, Cairo, 2006)
MA in Translation Studies; major in Arabic including the study of:
- Arabic language
- History of the Middle East & North Africa
Constitutional Struggles in the Muslim World (online course at the University of Copenhagen, via Coursera)
Co-organiser of the London Arabic Language Meetup Group since 2009:
- Insider to London’s Middle Eastern cultural scene
- Regular Arabic practice with native speakers from various countries
-Assisting beginners in learning Arabic
- Modern Standard Arabic (MSA)
- Levantine and Egyptian dialects
- Classical (Koranic) Arabic
You can also choose a combination of services to benefit from comprehensive German content for various outlets, thus enabling you to reach a larger audience – all from a single source with an in-depth understanding of your goals.